ShabbyBlogs - Must be Maddie

Wednesday, July 25, 2012

I did it

Saturday morning I forced myself out of bed before 7am.  Half asleep I threw on running clothes and woke slumbering Husband.  Eventually we got ourselves to the car and headed to a new part of town.  It was a gray morning...

We pulled in and I saw crowds of people with numbers pinned to their shirts.  They were all moving towards the starting line.  Navigating the car through the grass 'parking lot' we parked and checked in.  This little tennis swim club was hosting a 5k to benefit the local chapter of the American Cancer Society.  I like my races with good causes.

The race started, in a bit of an anti-climatic fashion.  I ran.  Most everyone burst forward with more energy that I could muster at 7:30am.  I seriously considered keeping pace with an older couple because they definitely looked like seasoned runners.  With their hats on, sure footing and running posture, you could tell they have been doing this for years - decades even.  Eventually they passed me sometime between mile 1 and 2.  I knew I should have kept up with their pace.

Luckily it was a cool morning.  A very nice change to the 90-100 temperature weather we had been experiencing.  Then came the light mist - this was nice and refreshing.  Yeah, running a race, decent temperatures and now a light mist to keep me cool.  This is not so bad.  About 10 minutes later that nice-light-mist turned into I-will-drench-you-rain.  Awesome.  I really should invest in a hat.

About 22 minutes in, I was desperately searching for that 3 mile marker.  Silly me, when I finally saw that glorious "3" my legs took off.  Now I was searching for the finish line.  I turned a corner hoping to see that blessed line...nope.  Turned another corner, crossed a bridge, and turned another corner.  I was ruing myself for sprinting at the 3 mile marker.

Finally I turned the last corner and saw the cheering fans and race volunteers.  Sprinting that last mile was not my plan and all I wanted was to cross that finish line.  "...the clock is the finish line!  Finish strong #11!!"  I think I scowled at that poor man.  But I ran as fast as my little legs could carry me.  I looked over and saw my encouraging husband and crossed that line.

I was panting like a husky that just finished carrying a small family across Alaska.

After cooling down, we headed home.  Stopping by Whole Foods to pick up bagels.  Because bagels and coffee were promised to my husband if he came and supported me.  He was a good sport.

I did the race in 33 min and 29 sec.  I'm happy with it.  I did it.  I'll do it again and I'll be better...and I'll have a hat. 

No comments:

Post a Comment