ShabbyBlogs - Must be Maddie

Sunday, February 13, 2011

Jax sitting

My friend Kathy went to JMU this weekend and asked me to watch her toy Australian shepherd, Jax. I’ve watched a dog before, specifically my in-laws' cocker spaniel, Morgen. Mo Mo is well trained, she’s very used to seeing me (and she loves me), so it’s a piece of cake watching her.


Jax is still a puppy and in comparison to Morgen, he’s 18 while she’s 70-something. Even though he’s young, he’s well behaved too. Kathy took him to an obedience class and he passed with flying colors. But I was wondered if he would be behaved with me too.


Kathy dropped Jax off with me on Friday afternoon. One of the first things I did was find a tennis ball. My plan was to do something with Jax and form a bond between us. Catch was the perfect game: a solo game or a duo game with me. Thankfully we have tennis balls so we played catch for a while. And a bond definitely formed.

I remembered watching the Dog Whisperer and he said taking walks is a good way to get a dog accustomed to a new space (or something like that). When Kathy takes Jax out, he has to sit before she attaches the leash. When they come back inside, he has to sit before she takes off the leash. SO I did the same thing and he did too!! He sat for me. My heart fluttered with happiness.

The first walk wasn't too bad. I did have a little trouble juggling a poo bag, a leash and a phone while keeping Jaxman from jumping on two pedestrians. But I'm sure that comes with a little practice.

We came back in and Jax sat for me while I removed the leash. *hooray!* For the rest of the night we played catch, did laundry, watched TV, etc.

It was a good first day.

2 comments:

  1. aaah! i'm having puppy withdrawals...mine's been with the in-laws for a week while we were on vacation...what a cute pup and how fun to "sit" for him! have a happy week, sweet friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How precious!! My little one isn't nearly as well trained at Jax. He jumps up and down and up and down and up and down when the leash comes out. Perhaps I should try the "sit" method. Hmmm...

    ReplyDelete