the other week I was looking to use up some tomatoes and found a great Curried Tomato Soup recipe from RealSimple.com. it was incredibly easy to make and quick too.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 28-ounce can whole tomatoes (I used a 28oz can of crushed tomatoes w/ basil, and it worked perfectly)
- Greek yogurt, for serving
- fresh cilantro leaves, for serving
before i got started with the onions, i sliced my tomatoes and drizzled them with extra virgin olive oil, salt & pepper and some italian seasoning. i threw them in the oven (325-350) for 10 min or so.
on to the super easy directions:
- Heat the oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the onion, garlic, ½ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper and cook, stirring, until soft, 3 to 5 minutes. Add the curry powder and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds more. Add the can of tomatoes (with their juices), here is where I chopped my roasted tomatoes and thew them in, and ½ cup water and bring to a boil.
- In a blender, puree until smooth. Top with the yogurt and cilantro.
i thought this was absolutely delicious. i feel like it could be used several ways...
-add veggies & pasta - easy weekday dinner
-soup with grilled cheese
-add veggies & orzo or cous cous for a heartier soup
-cold gazpacho with veggies
i highly suggest trying it!