ShabbyBlogs - Must be Maddie

Friday, October 8, 2010

Finally cooking

I made dinner every day this week. Yes, millions of people have been doing it for their entire lives, but let me explain. I've never been hugely into cooking. In high school my parents made dinner so there wasn't a major need for me to cook. In hindsight, I should have helped more with making dinner but I always had hours upon hours of homework. (Yeah I know, I'm a total dork for taking high school seriously...what can I say, I'm Asian.) I did bake in high school, but pretty much only chocolate chip cookies.

Anyways this past weekend, Husband and I picked recipes we wanted to try this week and then went grocery shopping for all the ingredients we would need. So there has been none of this run-to-the-grocery-store-for-3-items-business...which takes up time after work, takes away from my running, takes my money for gas, yada yada yada. I am loving this planned out approach to cooking. In contrast to what we were doing before when we were planning for dinners on a daily basis...what do you want to eat tonight? Can you pick up some chicken after work?

So now that I'm able to pick a recipe off our list and make it straight through from prep to plating, I'm really enjoying cooking. I would even say that I look forward to making dinner. My mom always said, "when the time comes, you'll learn to cook" and she was right. It helps that Husband held cooking jobs in high school and currently designs commercial kitchens so I have my own personal cooking guru. And he doesn't go half-ass on anything, especially the tools in our kitchen. Good knives and cookware make a huge difference when cooking, I don't care what other people think/say.

I'll share recipes & pictures soon but here's our menu from this week:
Monday - we ordered Papa Johns Pizza; Husband & I ended up on the golf course for nine holes so it was a little too late to make dinner.
Tuesday - penne with asparagus & peas, pork with Cajun rub
Wednesday - hanger steak with a warm bulgar salad that had onions, turnips & carrots
Thursday - TACOS! We heart tacos & taco salad

I'm not sure what's on the menu for tonight but I'm looking forward to it.

TGIF!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment